Thursday, March 26, 2009

What's Up With MotionBased?

Let me preface this entry by saying that I love my Forerunner 305 and I wouldn't think of getting rid of it (except for maybe a Forerunner 405).

With that said, I need to get something off my chest. Is it just me, or does MotionBased suck? Let's look at Wednesday night's workout. The total mileage recorded on my Forerunner 305 was 6.60 miles. When I uploaded the run to MotionBased, the "summary" mileage was 7.02 miles. I could stop here but wait there's more. If you go into "laps" and add up the mileage it sums to 6.61 miles. Why is there such a discrepancy between the "summary" mileage and the "laps" mileage?

I know what your thinking, why don't you use SportTracks? I do. According to ST, the mileage for Wednesday's run was 6.89 miles. There is no discrepancy between the "summary" and "laps" mileage.

If the Forerunner is a GPS watch shouldn't the mileage be the same on MotionBased ("Summary" and "Laps") and SportTracks? It really makes it tough to analyze pacing. I've run the Web Updater and I have the current software. Anyone care to comment?

2 comments:

DailyRunner said...

I had the Edge 305 and I know what you're experiencing. All I can say is that the 405 pretty much fixed the problems. The mileage always syncs up on Garmin Connect and the erratic route jumps have been mostly eliminated.

Robert James Reese said...

I'm not nearly that advanced in the usage of my new Garmin so I can't help you out.