Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Wednesday Night Speed Session - 1/14/09

Tonight was week 2 of the RUNNYC Wednesday night speed series at Paragon. I was looking forward to the workout despite temperatures around 20 degrees. The original workout was supposed to be 6 800m repeats on the 6th St. track. Coach Kate told us that the track was iced over so plan B was to run down to the West Side running path for a Fartlek workout. I've spoked about Fartleks before but just to refresh everyone's memory...Fartlek is Sweedish for "speed play." The basic concept behind the workout is you run faster for a pre-determined amount of time during your run.

We warmed up by running from Paragon to the West Side, about 1 mile. After a short regroup, we started the workout. I ran with coach Kate who led the 7:30/mile (5k pace) group. We ran a little faster than our 10k pace and then on her mark we picked up the pace for 3 minutes.

All in all we did 6 fartleks and ran 6.79 miles in 57 minutes (about an 8:23 pace). That time includes the warmup to the West Side and the cooldown back to Paragon. Here is the route we ran (courtesy of mapmyrun.com):
I'm really liking this new group. For now, it's much smaller, the runners are friendlier, and I think there are more pacers/coaches. I will be missing next week's session because I will be on vacation. More on that (hopefully) before I leave.

No comments: