Thursday, January 1, 2009

Race Report: Fair Lawn Sunrise Rotary 1st Day 5K

What better way to start 2009 than with a new PR? That's right, my first race of 2009 and I set a new 5K PR! Today I ran the 7th annual Fair Lawn (NJ) Sunrise Rotary 1st Day 5K. Race start was at 11:00 so I was able to sleep in (I woke up at 7:30 instead of 5:00 or 6:00) and enjoy a lazy morning with my family. When I left the house, the temperature was 15 degrees with wind chills in the single digits. On top I wore my UA Cold Gear Mock, my heavy 1/4 zip pull over, and a windbreaker. I only wore one layer on bottom, my line Addidas tights. On my head I wore my UA hood. When I got to the school I debated if I should wear the jacket during the race. In the end I decide to leave the jacket in the car thinking that I would warm up quickly.

Before the start, I said to a friend that I didn't think I'd set a new PR given the conditions. The streets were in excellent condition given the dusting of snow we got yesterday and the frigid overnight temps. At the very end of the race I heard footsteps and heavy breathing behind me. I was determined not to let the guy on my tail pass me so close to the finish so I kicked my pace up a few notches. When I crossed the finish, I looked at my Garmin and saw 22:39. Even if I was off by a few seconds, I knew I set a new PR.

Here are the official stats:
Time: 22:46 (7:20/mile)
Overall Place: 58/227
Age Group Place: 7/25

Here are the mile splits:
Mile 1: 7:21
Mile 2: 7:02
Mile 3: 7:03
last tenth: 1:04

Looks like 2009 is off to good start.

No comments: