Sunday, July 4, 2010

Observations From Recycling Day

The first Friday of every month is recycling pick-up day in my part of town. Newspapers are tied up in neat bundles and a month's worth of glass and plastics are piled high in extra trash cans or similar receptacles. Many of these bins are placed on the curb without covers so it's easy to peek in if you're out walking the dog, heading work, or like me, out on a run. Let's just say you can learn a lot about the people around you by peeking into their recycling bins. Here is what I learned:
  • The wine drinkers: I was amazed how many bins were filled just with wine bottles. I know red wine has it's health benefits but people are knocking off  1 - 2 bottles per day.
  • The aluminum can beer drinkers: REALLY? I had no idea folks in my 'hood drank Keystone Light.
  • The soda and juice drinkers: maybe it's me, but I find soda disgusting. Even when I was younger, I was never much of a soda drinker. I just never liked the taste. I see so many bins filled with empty soda (not all diet) bottles. Then there are the bins that are filled with huge jugs of juice drinks. I enjoy a glass of 100% pure orange juice with my breakfast but that is not what I'm seeing the bins. I'm seeing drinks such as Tropicana Twister. According to Men's Health, one 20oz. bottle has 340 calories and 60g of sugars. I'm not a fan of drinking your calories and the sugar content is just nauseating. .
As for what's in my recycling bin, there's the occasional bottle of wine and scotch but for the most part, mine is filled with water bottles, Gatorade (used only by me for running related activities), canned vegetables (beans, mushrooms, etc..), and tomato sauce jars.

No comments: