Sunday, October 4, 2009

How are you feeling?

That's the question many of friends have been asking me over the past few days. So here is my injury update.

It's been about 2 weeks since I fractured my rib. I'm in a lot less pain than I was 2 weeks ago. The only time my rib really bother is when I'm laying down.  I thought I was able to resume running related activites but I'm still feeling winded and out of breath. One of things that comes along with a fractured rib is not being able to get enough air into my lungs. I also came down with an upper respiratory infection about a week ago. Thankfully it wasn't pneumonia. Between my coughing and not getting enough air into my lungs, I am not ready to start pounding the pavement yet. I'll give myself another 2 weeks and re-evaluate.

So where does that leave me? Needless to say, I'm very grumpy. I haven't run in 2 weeks and it's driving me crazy. I am in the midst of the Jewish holiday of Sukkot, which is distracting me a little, but not enough. Work has been very busy recently, and I'm missing not being able to use my running to relieve the stress.

As for upcoming races, I will not be running the Asbury Park Marathon Relay on October 18. I'm hoping I'll be healed for my 3 5ks in November, Yavneh Academy (my daughter's school) 5k on 11/8, The Damon Runyon 5k at Yankee Stadium on 11/15, and the Dick Meighan 5k Turkey Trot on 11/26. Other than that, I am trying to stay positive and do what I can to support everyone I know who are running fall marathons.

No comments: