Sunday, April 26, 2009

One Week to Go


I met up with a few local running buddies at Englewood (NJ) Boat Basin portion of Palisades Interstate Park. I've been itching to run there for a while so I decided today would be a good day to do it. If you're looking for a scenic yet very hilly place to run close to NYC this is the place. I'll share the elevation profile at the end of this entry. This is mainly a cyclist's heaven. There were plenty of hard core cyclists out trying conquer the rolling hills of Hudson Drive. Rumor has it that this is where Lance Armstrong trains when he is in New York.

Back to the run.....With an up hill run from the boat basin to Hudson Drive, I immediately knew this was going to be a tough run. With the NJ Marathon exactly one week from today and an April heat wave upon us (the temperature at 7:30 was right around 70) I took it very easy. I made sure to hyrdrate and not push the pace on the uphills or downhills. I did an out and back from Englewood to Alpine, about 5 miles each way. According to SportTracks, I ran 10.45 miles in 1:33:21 for a 8:56 pace. I've certainly run 10+ miles at a faster pace but considering the heat and the hills I'm happy with the run.

Here is elevation profile:

1 comment:

DailyRunner said...

We're almost there! At this point, I'm just going to trust my training and enjoy a short vacation down in VA Beach. Maybe a lunch run on Thursday?