Sunday, January 17, 2010

Sabbath/Shabbat

 Those of you that know me, know that I observe the Jewish Sabbath (Shabbat) from sundown on Friday through Sundown on Saturday. What do I do during this 25 hour time period? Shabbat is a time for me to put most weekday activities aside and spend some time in synagogue and with family and friends. I do not drive on Shabbat; I walk to synagogue. The computer is turned off, no e-mail, no Facebook, and no Twitter. It's a time when Mrs. Ansky and I have to talk and catch up after a busy week and when I can spend quality time with our daughter without her worrying about missing "The Suite Life of Zach and Cody" or "Hannah Montana." Every so often, we get together with friends and eat good food (prepared before Shabbat since cooking is forbidden), enjoy each others company, drink good wine and good scotch (single malt, of course). I also don't run on Shabbat, it's, in the most literal sense of the words, a day of  rest. I sleep late (wake up around 7:30 instead of 5:00) and I nap in the afternoon.

Most importantly, Shabbat grounds me, it slows me down, it keeps me honest. I helps me realize that running is not the only important thing in my life.

No comments: