Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Junk Miles vs. A Bad Run

I missed my morning run this morning. I'm not exactly sure why. The only thing that comes to mind was I didn't sleep particularly well and didn't feel like dragging my ass out of bed at 5:00 a.m. Instead, I tossed and turned in bed for a good part of the next hour when I started to get ready for work.

I brought my running stuff with me to work so I could run some tempo miles on treadmills in my office's fitness center. I set the TM to my usual tempo pace (around 7:50/mi) and hoped for the best. Everything about the run was wrong. I had a hard time focusing, my running podcasts were not enough to distract me. I felt like I had to rush so I can get back to my desk on time. The miles I ran today are not going in my log. I'm considering them junk miles and ignoring them.

I tweeted about it later and received a bunch of replies saying "Well at least you did something, which more than most of America is doing."

Which brings me to my question: Is there a difference between a bad run and "junk" miles? Are junk miles ran better than no miles ran? 

Please comment.

No comments: