Sunday, January 24, 2010

Race Report: Manhattan Half Marathon


The Manhattan Half Marathon is somewhat of a coming out party for the New York City running community. We've recovered from our fall racing season, got past the holiday season, signed up for our spring "A" races, and have endured running in some frigid temperatures. We come out to assess how our training is going as we get deeper into our spring training schedules.

My goal for today was simple, to run a sub-1:50 half marathon. I felt like I had it in me. I've been running well and I thought I could run a good race. AC, EG, and I decided that we would run together. It was an overcast morning with temperatures in the mid-30s when the horn went off. The 3 of  us chatted about our spring marathon plans, the Yankees, The Phillies, football, and just how more fun running these races are when you run with company. Before we knew it, we crested Harlem Hill for the second and last time. As we approached mile 10, the clock was at 1:25:xx. My sub-1:50 was still within reach but it was going to be close. We picked up the pace over the last 3 miles. As we made the final turn towards mile 13, we saw Speedy Sasquatch, already done with his race, on the sidelines offering word of encouragement. We finished with an official time of 1:48:46. A new half marathon PR by about 4 minutes. I can't say enough about my running buddies . We worked together, slowing down when the pace got to quick, pushing the pace when necessary, and had good conversation. I envision running many more miles with these great ladies as we progress through our training. Here are the official stats from today:
Official Time: 1:48:46 (8:18/mi)
Overall Place: 1979 out of 5441
Gender Place: 1555 out of 3297
Age Place: 324 out of 660

Congrats to everyone that ran today. I know a bunch of people that PRed at today's race. That can only mean that everyone has been taking their training seriously so far. The Pocono Mountain Marathon is exactly 18 weeks from today. Bring it on!

No comments: