Thursday, August 6, 2009

Wednesday Night Speed Workout - 8/5/09

Last night's workout called for 6 x 800m at 5k pace. It was a typical hot and humid summer evening in NYC. When we got to the track, I decided to run with the 7:00/mi group. I know, 2 weeks ago I wrote about dropping down to the 7:30/mi group for the rest of the summer, but I felt pretty good during the warm-up and decided to run with the faster group.

Over the past few weeks, Coach Kate has been stressing to push ourselves and that it's OK to run an incomplete workout at a faster pace. That is exactly what transpired last night. As you can see from the splits, I only did 5 out of 6 intervals. As the workout progressed, I felt my asthma starting to flare up. At the end of the 5th interval I knew I had enough. So I played it safe and called it quits after the 5th interval. The good news is , the 5 intervals I did were all quality intervals. My pace was spot on, finishing each interval in either 3:29 or 3:30.

 

1 comment:

Payam Eric Nili said...

Wow Ari, great job with the splits. How good does it feel to push yourself and rock the workout?

Eric