Sunday, July 19, 2009

What I Learned During My Week Off

My week off from running ended today. I learned a thing or two during this past week.
  • It's OK to take time off to rest - clearly my body was telling that it needed some time off. A lot of people were asking me if I was injured. Except for some bursitis in the shoulder, I have no major injuries.  My body was just tired and needed a break from waking up at 5:00 a.m. every day to run or cross train.
  • I also realized that I needed a shorter-term goal race than the Asbury Park Marathon Relay. I've said this before, I can probably bang out a half marathon today if I needed to. It wouldn't be my fastest nor would it be pretty but I would finish.  Training for a half marathon is not as intense as training for full. I signed up for the South Nyack Ten Miler on September 13. I plan on using this race as a tune-up for the APMR. I'll practice my pacing, hydration, and nutrition strategies.

So today I woke up at 5:00 a.m. and went through my pre-run routine. I wanted to ease back into things so I chose a local route that I've run a bunch of times. The one thing I can't avoid in my neighborhood is hills. No matter where I run I have to run up at least one very steep hill. I also ditched my trademark Nike Dry-Fit Hat for a visor.  I've read a few articles recently about how hats trap heat on your head and that a visor is the best option for keeping the sun out of your eyes. I have to say I liked it a lot.

As for the run itself, I ran at what felt like an easy pace. Even though it wasn't oppresively humid, the sun was out and it felt hot while running. I finished the 6.60 mile run in 54:55 for a 8:19 pace. The plan for the rest of the week is as follows:
Monday: cross training. I'll probably ride the stationary bike in the gym for 30 minutes and then do ab work. I have to stary away from planks, push-ups, and strength training until my bursitis is gone.
Tuesday: I might follow Jason's lead and do a tempo run on the treadmill. I also start PT for my bursitis. 
Wednesday: Speedwork with the Nike Pacers. It looks like Michelle and Jenna will be coming to check it out.
Thursday: more cross training.
Friday: recovery run
Saturday: my day of rest from running and work.

Hope everyone had a great weekend, and has a great week.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice return to the roads...

I'm a hat guy myself, but at this time of the year, I can agree that the head gets pretty hot, and also
the hat starts to retain a bad smell from the accumulation of sweat.

Maybe time for me to look for a visor for summertime. Thanks for the tip...

Anonymous said...

glad your feeling better man, i totally went through the same cycle of losing motivation, taking a step back and coming back strong. finally starting to feel like I'll be able to put out a half decent showing at the nyc half.

jason
www.nycin310.com