Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Bursitis


I've mentioned in passing over the past few days that I've developed some bursitis in my shoulder. For those unfamiliar with what bursitis is here is a definition courtesy of WebMD.com:
"Bursitis is the inflammation or irritation of the bursa. The bursa is a sac filled with lubricating fluid, located between tissues such as bone, muscle, tendons, and skin, that decreases rubbing, friction, and irritation."
One way to treat bursitis is with physical therapy which I started this morning. As today  was the first visit to the PT, we didn't do anything intensive. Rather, the PT stretched out my shoulder in different positions to ascertain where the pain was. He also put a heating pad on it for about 15 minutes. I'll be seeing the PT twice a week for at least 4 weeks. I'm hopeful that the PT will relieve my discomfot.
The good news is the PT said I can continue running but that I should stay away from strength training and core excersizes like push-ups and planks. That kind of changes my cross trainining routine for the next few weeks. I'm not exactly sure what I'll but I'll figure it out.

2 comments:

NY Wolve said...

A medical order to stay away from push ups -- where do I get one? Seriously, thats a bummer. Bursitis can be hard to kick for good, so I'd listen to the PT

Unknown said...

I had hip bursitis before and it was really painful, reason why I was not able to play tennis for more than a year. But now, I'm completely healed after numbers of physical and lab tests with different doctors and dozens of painkillers. I was able to find the suitable treatment for me after several months, through stem cell therapy with my orthopedic surgeon, Dr. Purita. He was a nice doctor, very professional and knowledgeable. He informed be things about how I possibly got it and what are the things that I can do to prevent it from having it again. I hope you will find solution to your bursitis too.