Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Wednesday Night Speed Series - 6/17/09

I had a very stressful day at work today. I am in the home stretch of a huge project and we are trying to accomplish a lot in a short amount of time. Tonight was one of those nights where I wanted to get on the track on release a lot of the tension from the day. Fortunately, Coach Kate, had an aggressive workout planned for tonight, 5x1000m with only a 200m recovery.With the short recovery pacing was the key. The goal with every speed workout is to run each interval at or just around the same pace. The other thing is, Kate is really pushing the intensity and encouraging all runners to push their limits and get people to move up a group.

On the way to the track I thought about running with the 7:30/mi group to ease my way back into speed work. If you remember 2 weeks ago I had a hard time with Fartlek run. I also ran a pretty fast race at the JP Morgan Corporate Challenge last Thursday and I will be racing a 5 miler this Sunday. Pacer Joe was leading the 7:00/mi group tonight and he encouraged me to run with the faster group. I'm happy I did. I ended up having a great workout.
The intervals are numbers 3, 5, 7, 9, and 11. After tonight's workout, I have a good feeling that I'll run a good race this Sunday. If anyone who reads this blog will be running this Sunday, please let me know. I'd love to meet some of you.

1 comment:

Joe Herman said...

Are you gonna run the Father's Day race if it rains? I'm signed up for the race, but probably won't run if the weather isn't great.

Either way - I'm going to take this one easy - which is what I tell myself all the time during races, and never seem to do.