Sunday, June 7, 2009

Chocolate Milk


This month's Runner's World had an article about natural drinks that are healthy, recharge muscles, and aid performance ("Natural Solution" by Matthew G. Kaday, M.Sc, R.D., Pgs 38-39). One of drinks discussed in the article is chocolate milk. According to the article chocolate milk is an ideal post-run drink because it has an ideal amount of carbs and protein that muscles need for recovery.

I have a mild case of lactose intolerance and drinking milk (regular or chocolate) does not agree with me. So my question is this, does chocolate soy milk have the same nutritional make-up as regular chocolate milk thus making it the same nutrient-rich recovery drink as regular chocolate milk?

Please chime in.

5 comments:

Jocelyn said...

Hmmm, I really don't know. I didn't have a idea that chocolate mil is good...kind of makes me want a class though.

Robert James Reese said...

I don't think it's the same nutritional content, but it's still nutritional. Soy milk has tons of protein. And, it's delicious, especially the chocolate variety! They give it out post race at the Bolder Boulder each year and it's always my favorite part of the goodie bag (well, except for the beer...)

Joe Herman said...

Couldn't tell you about the nutritional value, but definitely check out ZenSoy brand chocolate soy milk - if you can find it in your local supermarket. Not only is it delicious, it's also PARVE.

We are addicted to ice coffees with ZenSoy milk. I especially enjoy drinking one with a Shabbos morning Cholent - just because it feels so scandalous :)

Jake said...

I'm not at all lactose intolerant, and I don't know the nutritional values off the top of my head, but I do know that a glass of Silk Light Chocolate Soymilk after a hard workout is awesome.

It's easier on my digestive system than real dairy, its high in protein, and it tastes great. And I'm sure there's some carbs in there too...

Ansky said...

From Mrs. Ansky, R.D.:
Chocolate milk, with more protein, is a better source of nutrient-rich liquid yum for her husband than chocolate soymilk. However, it is not worth that good old lactose intolerance for that extra gram of protein.