Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Over 2 Bridges and Through Chinatown, to Bubby's Place We Go

I had to stop by my Bubby's (Yiddish for grandmother) place on the Lower East Side before work to help her out with something. G-d bless her, she is 97 years old and still lives by herself, gets around, and is sharp as a whistle mentally. She has a visiting nurse service come 3 days a weeks to help with laundry, showers, doctors appointments, etc.... other than that, she does everything on her own. I incorporated the stop into my morning run today. I did my usual run over the Brooklyn and Manhattan Bridges, but instead of taking a left off the Manhattan Bridge to go back work, I took a right and ran down Canal St. to East Broadway and then a left on Clinton St. When I showed up in my running clothes, Bubby asked me why I wasn't dressed for work. I told her that I run before work and I ran to her apartment. She exclaimed "you ran from your house (in NJ)!" I chuckled and told her that I ran here from my office. I did what I had to do, and after turning down multiple offers for food (what Jewish grandmother doesn't offer their grandchildren food?), I got on the subway (if I had more time I would have run back to work) and started my day.

Bubby is an amazing woman. She was born on the Lower East Side and has spent all her life there. I can't even imagine the types of experiences she's had. So much has happened in 97 years. As she is the only living grandparent I have left, I truly enjoy the time I get to spend with her.

1 comment:

NY Wolve said...

Hey I think I fixed my feed issue. Love to know if you have an issue subscribing now...