Monday, April 12, 2010

When a Good Effort Doesn't Feel Like One

Yesterday's run was 2:45 with 3 minute surges every 20 minutes and a strong 3-4 minute finish.  This was my first run since coming back from South Florida on Thursday. I hadn't run in a week and I was chomping at the bit to get out there and put together a solid long run. I'm not sure what happened but from the get-go I had a tough time staying focused mentally. My legs also felt the effects of not running on hilly terrain the past two weeks. The only hills in South Florida are mainly bridges that cross the Intercoastal. The roads within my parents' development are pancake flat so my legs were not happy when I re-introduced them to the hilly terrain of Bergen County, NJ.

18.91 miles in 2:43:01 (8:37 average pace)

I know what you're all thinking, I should be pleased as hell with an 8:37 average pace over almost 19 miles. I am, but as the title of this post says, it didn't feel like a good effort. 

Next Sunday, I will be running the George Wodicka Hook Half Marathon in Congers, NY. It's a tough course, and I don't expect to PR. Based on the elevation profile, it should be a good workout and will be a good test for the Pocono Marathon.

No comments: