Friday, April 16, 2010

Boston

Yes, it's that time when many of my friends are making the trip to Boston to toe the line in Hopkinton on Monday. I am very excited for each and every one of them and can't wait to track their progress on Monday and read their race reports when they hit blogosphere. However, I would be lying if I told you that I don't have a case of Boston envy. Each year when the third Monday in April approaches, I find myself asking "when will my time come?" A 3:15 marathon seems so far out of reach. I know that I've progressed as a marathoner, going from a 4:21 to my current PR of 3:52 in 3 years.I also know that since I started training with Jeff, I have become a smarter, stronger, and yes, faster runner. But there is a huge difference between being able to run a 3:40 marathon and running a 3:15.

I know it sounds like I'm selling myself short, but isn't the ultimate goal of most marathoners to get to Beantown? Bottom line is, I don't know if I have the time in my life and the physical ability to train for a BQ.  Boston is also the one race race that I would not run as charity runner. Nothing against those that do, but I am in the camp that believes that I need to earn the right to run Boston by running a qualifying time.

I don't know what the future holds for me. I will continue to train hard and see how far I get. Some day in the distant future when I can no longer run marathons, I will be proud of my accomplishments regardless of if I ever toed the line in Hopkinton.

No comments: