Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Chanukah Special: 8 Things I Love About Running


Night 6: The Sense of Accomplishment

Most of you can remember the exact finishing time of your marathon (mine was 4:21:57, NYC 2007). I also remember the wave of emotions as the finish line in Central Park came into view. A small part of me was saying "thank good that's over. What the hell was I thinking?" A bigger part of me was on the verge of tears and was saying "Holy Shit, I just ran my first marathon!" It wasn't until later that night for the sense of accomplishment to hit me. I reaped the benefits of the long runs, speed work, and hill repeats. The training schedule that was mounted on my fridge for the past 18 weeks had all come together. 

This sense accomplishment isn't limited to your first marathon. Setting a new PR at any race distance, conquering a particular hill, running your first sub-whatever mile, are all major accomplishments. Brandon became an Ironman this year, Allan did his first triathlon, Sarah ran her first 100 mille race, and Allen qualified for Boston.  I could go on and on. The point is, be proud of of what you accomplish, it is one of the many motivating factors that gets us out the door each and every day.

As 2009 comes to end, us running bloggers will devote a post or two about what we accomplished in 2009. I know I will be sharing mine before the sun rises on 2010. It's also not too early to think about what you want to accomplish in 2010.

Happy Chanukah!

No comments: