Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Chanukah Special: 8 Things I Love About Running

Night 5:  Being Fit


Even though I was very active in high school and in college, I always carried some extra weight around my belly. I paid no attention to my diet. I ate with reckless abandon. Pizza, fries, burgers, fried chicken, etc... I always wore baggy clothes to hide the extra weight. It wasn't until I took up running when things started to change. My clothes were even baggier and my body was not happy when I ate large amounts of fried foods. Friends and family began to comment that I was beginning to look good. Yes, I was losing weight but more importantly, I was losing inches. A few summers ago, my family was doing some outlet shopping and I was trying on polo shirts. Out of habit, I went for the large, too big. Medium, too big. Small, just right. I can't remember the last time I wore a size small.

Being fit isn't only about looking good in your clothes. It's also about how you feel. I started paying more attention to my diet. I had help from Mrs. Ansky, who not only is my wife, she is also my dietitian. I learned the words "in moderation," "lean proteins," "whole grains," and "complex carbohydrates." Not too long ago we had a fire drill at work. Part of the drill involved taking the stairs down to the lobby instead of the elevator. Many of my co-workers, were huffing and puffing after a few flights. After the drill, everyone was waiting in the lobby for the elevator. I decided to take the stairs. No problem, not even a little winded. A good friend's father is still running marathons well into his 70's. I you saw him, you would think he is his early 60s. Every time he is in town I say that I hope to keep running marathons when I'm in my 70s.

Happy Chanukah! 

No comments: