Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Wednesday Night Speed Session - 2/25/09

Tonight's workout was 5 x 1000m intervals at 5k pace. Coach Kate wanted to get the group, or at least those who are running it, fired up for the Coogan's 5k. It was a great night for a run, no rain and not too cold. The group was larger than usual, I guess people are starting to come out of hibernation and realize they need to get their asses in gear for their spring races.

On the way to the track, Brad caught up with me and asked how the Cherry Tree 10 Miler went for me. I told him last week that my goal was to run that race at a tempo pace and race my half marathon this Sunday. As I said in my race report, I ended up running it at a race pace. Brad, "strongly suggested" that I take it easy this Sunday. I will do my best to listen to him. Racing back to back weekends is usually not recommended so I will make an effort to run my half at an easy pace.

We took the usual route to the track, stretched, and then broke up in groups. Kevin was taking the night off again to rest his achilles. Brad, last week's pacer, paced the sub-7 minute per mile group tonight. Tiffany was charged with pacing the 7:00 - 7:15ish group. Before we started, Tiffany said that she wanted to keep the interval splits as close together as possible but still have enough left for a fast last interval. Here are the splits for 4 out of the 5 intervals (I accidentally reset my watch after the 1st one):
4:32
4:24
4:27
4:13 - before the last interval Tiffany said that if anyone had something left in the tank when we got to the last 200, to blast past her. That's exactly what I did.

No comments: