Sunday, February 8, 2009

Sunday Long Run

I could not run the Bronx Half Marathon today so I decided to run the distance on my own. My wife had to work today so that meant another 6:30 a.m. start. Out of habit, I grabbed my cold weather gear. Even though they were predicting warm temperatures for today, I was expecting cold temperatures in the morning. Boy was I wrong. I walked out of the house and was greeted by a blast of warm air. I was able to find a long-sleeved tech shirt but for the life of me I couldn't find any shorts so I just kept on my tights.

The run started off well. After a 8:35 warm-up mile, I settled in to what I thought was a good rhythm. The next few miles were between 8:02 and 8:10. At mile 7 I started to feel sluggish. I hadn't been sleeping well the past few days so maybe the lack of sleep was starting to set in. Maybe I was over heated because I was not dressed properly. I had a long-sleeved tech shirt and cold weather tights on and it was well over 50 out. I should have been wearing short sleeves and shorts. I also hadn't run that distance in quite a while. I'm still planning on running the NJ Marathon on May 3 so I needed to started ramping up the miles. I grinded out the remaining 6.5 miles and finished the run in 1:51:46 (8:16/mile). Splits and other details can be found here: 13.5 miles in Saddle River Park.

Lastly, congrats to everyone who finished the Bronx Half Marathon today. The weather could not have been better for a Sunday in February.

No comments: