Friday, September 26, 2008

Yankee Stadium 1923 - 2008: Some Final Thoughts

Most die hard Yankee fans can remember their first game at Yankee Stadium. For some reason, that moment eludes me. I would like to share with you some other memorable moments:

  • I was at both the last World Series game and the final game at the Stadium. Unfortuately, the Yankees did not win game 6 of the 2003 World Series vs. Florida. Josh Beckett pitched a great game resulting in a World Series title for Florida and World Series MVP honors for Beckett.
  • I was also at the last no-hitter at Yankee Stadium. It was a combined no-no pitched by 6 Houston Astors pitchers: Oswalt, Munro, Saarloos, Lidge, Dotel, Wagner) on 6/11/03. Final score of the game was 8-0 Houston.
  • Even though the Yankees lost, Game 2 of the 2001 ALDS was memorable in the sense that it was my first time back at the Stadium after 9/11. I remember vividly the hightened security and the police snipers spread above the stadium.
  • Without a doubt, my most memorable game was Game 5 of the 2001 ALDS. The Yanks won the game 5-3 and won the series 3-2. The Yanks became the first team to win a ALDS series after dropping the first 2 games at home. Jeter made an unbelievable catch in the top of the 8th inning.
  • My daughter probably won't remember the exact date of the her first game, but I took her this year on June 22, 2008. The Yanks won the game vs. Cincinnati 4-1. Andy Pettitte got the win and Mariano Rivera got the save and Ken Griffey Jr ht a home run. I remember her reaction when she saw the field for the first time. She simply said "WOAH!" Rain delayed the game for an hour and we had to leave during the rain delay.
  • There were also so many memorable games against Boston and interleague games against the Mets.

Having been to some of the new stadiums I realize the need for a new building. The concourses are too narrow, there is not enough legroom, it lack many of the modern features that newer buildings have, etc... Lastly, a world class team deserves a world class facility.

There wil certainly be many changes in store for the Yankees during this offseason. It's strange not planning my evenings around Yankee playoff games. The good thing about the baseball offseason is that it's during the winter when I cut back on my running. I'll have more to say then.

But for now...there are just over 29 days left to MCM.

No comments: