Sunday, May 23, 2010

Final Thoughts & What's Next

Final Thoughts
  • This is the first marathon I raced instead of ran. 
  • Several of you asked me if I am continuing to train with Coach Jeff. The answer is a resounding YES! Jeff has taken my running to places I didn't think I could go.Why wouldn't I continue training with him? Besides, I have a long term goal (keep reading) which I'm going to need his help achieving.
  • I definitely need to incorporate more core and strength training into my routine.
  • I miss the social side of running. While I was training for my marathon, every workout had a purpose and it was difficult to meet up with friends for a leisurely run.   
What's Next?
I have 3 races on the docket in June. First up is the George Washington Bridge Challenge on June 13. I will be running the 10k. A few days later is the J.P. Morgan Chase Corporate Challenge (3.5 miles) on June 17. I'm not crazy about this race (read my 2009 race report) but there is some expectation at work for me to run it. Finally, there is the American Heart Association Start! Wall St. Run and Heart Walk (3 miles) on June 24. This is another tough race to race because the streets are so narrow but it's held so close to where I work.

Beyond June, I am considering the Bronx Half Marathon on August 15. I know it'll be hot but it will give me something to look forward to after June. A friend of mine asked me recently if I can help train him to break 2:00 in the half marathon. He'd like to do it at the Newport Liberty Half Marathon on September 26. I'm looking forward to helping a fellow runner achieve a goal.

I am not 100% sure if I will be running a fall marathon yet. I have reasons for and against a fall marathon. I will explain more in another post.

Long Term Goal
After my 3:39:47 last Sunday, I started thinking about those 2 letters every marathoner dreams about, BQ. I still think a 3:15 is too fast but the qualifying time for 40 - 44 year old males is 3:20. I turn 40 in December 2012. I'm going to try and BQ when I turn 40. There, I said it.

    No comments: