The taper does different things to different athletes. This is how my taper is going:
- Running-wise everything is going fine. Tuesday and Thursday I went back to the track for 5 x 1 mile at 5k pace. Wednesday was a recovery run. Tomorrow, coach gave me the choice of going out for an easy 45 bike ride or take an extra rest. Since I don't have a bike, and I'm not the biggest fan of the stationary bike. I will take the extra rest day and attempt to sleep in a bit. More on this in a bit.
- I am always hungry. I eat everything in sight. It's almost comical.
- Sleep isn't coming easy to me. Now is the time I should be getting extra sleep. The exact opposite is happening. Usually the pre-race jitters make their presence known the night before the race. This time around, they've announced themselves 9 days before race day.
- With most of my friends mostly recovered from their spring "A" races, I ask myself every day "is it my turn yet?"
- I am nervous. I'm not sure why. I've put in the work, training has gone better than I ever expected. Coach Jeff put together an intense but manageable training plan that allowed me to become a smarter, stronger, and faster runner. Now it's up to me to put it all together.