Thursday, February 4, 2010

Speed Work with Speedy Sasquatch - Week 3

Speedy Sasquatch is certifiably insane. Tuesday night's workout involved 6 Cat Hill repeats on "dead legs" and in between each interval we were to do as many push-ups as we could. In order to tire our legs, SS had us to 30 walking lunges.


and 40 sumo squats


We then warmed up to the Boathouse which marked the starting point for the Cat Hill repeats. My legs definitely felt tired but my splits were pretty consistent: 1:51, 1:47, 1:50, 1:49, 1:45, 1:47. I had trouble with the push-ups. I have bursitis in my shoulder that started to flare up and made it difficult to complete 10 push-ups. I did the best I could, completing at least 5 between each interval. I started to feel the burn in my legs during the cool-down and on the way home. In fact, I'm still feeling some residual soreness today.

Sadly though, I will not be doing speed work with SS and the Tuesday night Twitter gang. Coach Jeff put together a training plan to help me prepare for the Pocono Marathon. His plan includes track workouts, which I will have to do on my own. This will take some getting used to as I've always done speed work in a group setting. However, I would be doing a disservice to Jeff if I did not stick to his plan. I enjoy the camaraderie of group speed workouts but I know that Jeff's plan will get me to May 16 healthy, strong, and full of confidence.

So thank you SS for the workouts and to the other Tuesday night speedsters for their company. I hope that we can continue to meet up at races and at Tweet-up runs. If you are an early bird like me, let's meet up for a run before work.

No comments: