Sunday, June 27, 2010

Race Report:: American Heart Association Start! Wall St. Run and Heart Walk

Brutal is the only way I can describe Thursday's race. I decided hours before the race that I would run instead of the race the Wall St. Run. It has been brutally hot here in New York City all week. Temperatures have been in the mid to upper 80s, with 90 - 100% humidity. There have been a few days this week where the mercury cracked 90 degrees. Thursday was no exception, it was well into the upper 80s with the heat index making it feel like over 90.

The decision to run and not race was an easy one. Not only was it hot as Hades out but I had been on my feet all day traipsing around the City with Lil Ansky and my Mom. First we went to the Jewish Museum to check out an exhibit about H.A. Rey (in case you're wondering the H.A. is short for Hans Augusto), author of the Curious George children's books. After lunch, it was on to the Metropolitan Museum of Art to check out the "American Woman: Fashioning a National Identity" exhibit. It wasn't exactly my cup of tea but Lil Ansky and Mom loved it.

After chatting with Michelle for a bit in the Winter Garden we headed outside to check our bags and make our way to the start. The start of the race was more loosey goosey than the Corporate Challenge. No red or yellow stickers, no pace signs, just a free for all. I saw Joe and  he asked me if I could pace him to a 7:30/mile average pace finish. Since I had no particular goal for the race, I gladly obliged. Once the horn went off, all hell broke loose. Just like the Corporate Challenge, there were people that lined up at the front that had no business being there. The streets of lower Manhattan are so narrow that many runners had to run on the sidewalk. I felt bad for the people who were leaving work still dressed in professional attire only to be met with a hoard of sweaty runners as they left their offices. Many had to play a game of chicken with the runners as they tried to cross the street to their subway or PATH train. At about the 1.5 mile mark, Joe was hurting. He needed a walk break and some water. I offered to stick with him but he told me to keep going. I ran the rest of course at an easy pace finishing the 3 mile course in 23:25 (7:49/mi average pace).

Perhaps the best part of the evening was the post-run Tweet-up at Pound and Pence, and English style pub near my office. A great crowd showed up and it was nice to relax with friends after a brutally hot race.

No comments: