Sunday, April 10, 2011

Fuel for a Passover Long Run

Passover is a little more than a week away. Many of us are feverishly cleaning, shopping for kosher for Passover items, and deciding when turn over the kitchen. I'm one of the lucky ones, since my family goes away (to Boca Raton, Florida) for entire holiday, all I have to do is sell my chametz and lock the door. I wrote a pretty lengthy post last year summarizing the restrictions attached to food during Passover. As with most other Jewish holidays, there are days where running is off limits. Honestly, I'm looking forward to some extra rest. I have been going full throttle since January and my body will appreciate some extra rest days before the final push to the Vermont City Marathon.

There are intermediate days of Passover called Chol Hamoed where everyday activities including running are permitted. Last year, my wife and mom concocted a homemade "sports drink" using kosher for Passover ingredients. In addition to the drink, I ate dates in place of gels. The combination of the 2 gave me more than enough energy for a 21+ miler last year. I thought I'd share it again for those of you that have a long run planned during Passover:

Passover Sports Drink
24 oz. water
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 teaspoons sugar
1/3 bag jello mix (for flavoring)

Dissolve jello in warm water then mix with other ingredients. Chill and enjoy.


There is one other recipe I wanted to share. Last year, Mom made a Passover granola which was out of this world. I could not eat enough of it and my mother could not make enough of it.

Passover Granola (courtesy of Bergen County Jewish Standard)
3 cups matza farfel (kind of like matza croutons)
1 cup pecans, chopped (mom used walnuts)
1/2 cup slivered almonds
2/3 cup honey
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
2/3 cup raisins
1/2 chopped apricots
1/4 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 325. Place all ingredients in a large bowl, stir with a spoon until mixed. Grease a cookie sheet with sides and spread mixture evenly on it. Bake for 75 minutes or until mixture browns. Watch this carefully after 50 minutes to make sure it doesn't burn. Stir it occasionally. Can be made up to a week or two in advance, Store in an airtight container. Makes 5 or 6 cups.

No comments: