Sunday, March 20, 2011

Quick Update

I've been a bad blogger, the last time I posted anything was 2 weeks ago after Coogan's. I wish I had more time in my life to share every thought that comes to mind. Since the Vermont City Marathon is 10 weeks from today, I thought a quick update on my training would be a good idea.

I have to say, Coach Jeff really knows his stuff. We spent January and February building a big base and I'm beginning to reap the benefits. Here are some of the highlights:
  • Last Sunday, my assigned run was 2:45 in zone with 3 minute surges every 20 minutes. I chose a particularly hilly course to start getting my legs ready for the hills in Burlington. What surprised me about this run was how strong I felt on the hills. I increased my turnover and used my arms to power up the hills and recovered well when the terrain flattened out again. Because of a family commitment, I had to cut the run short at 2:30. 17.55 miles in 2:30 for an 8:35 average pace.
  • It was pouring this past Wednesday so I decided to run inside in the treadmill. I'm not the biggest fan of the treadmill so when I am forced inside I try to make things interesting. Wednesday's run was 1:30 in zone with surges every 20 minutes. I ran the first hour as assigned but when it came for me to surge at 1:00 I kept up the fast pace and finished the last 30 minutes like this: 10 minutes at 7:47 pace, 1% incline, 10 minutes at 7:41 pace, 0.5% incline, 5 minutes at 7:37 pace, 1% incline, 5 minutes at 7:31 pace, 0.5%. 11 miles total in 1:30 for a 8:11 pace.
  • The best run of the week came this past Friday. Once again, my assigned run was 1:30 with surges every 20 minutes. I decided it was time to start running to work (lower Manhattan) again. I took a bus to the George Washington Bridge Bus Terminal and head down the West Side. During the first few miles, I wasn't feeling it. It was dark and there were no runners on the northern part of West Side path. The sun started to come up and the further south I ran, the more runners I started to see. When I hit the ship terminal around west 59th St., I decided to increase my pace just like I did on the treadmill a few days before. My last 4 mile splits were 7:49, 7:58, 7:51, 7:27. 11.14 miles in 1:30:06 for a 8:05 pace. I had the runners high the entire day at work and I was super productive.
Today was the Jewish festival of Purim. It is a fun holiday commemorating the Jews of Persia overcoming an plot to destroy them. Kids and, some adults, dress up in costumes, we give treats to our friends, and we have a festive meal. It is one of Lil Ansky's favorite holidays and I didn't want to ruin it by disappearing for 2 - 3 hours for a run. So I took today off and enjoyed the festivities with my family. 

Next Sunday I will be traveling to Denver for work and I will not be able to get a run in before I have to leave for airport. Coach put some tough workouts on my schedule this week to make up for it. Tuesday I have a 12 mile step up run where I need to run miles 1-3 in zone, 4-6 in zone, miles 7-11 in zone, and cool down for a mile. Friday I have road intervals, 7 x 8 minutes at 5k pace with 2 minute recovery. While I am in Denver I hope to meet up and maybe run with Coaches Jeff and Diane and Matt

The countdown to Passover is officially underway. 4 weeks from tomorrow night, I will be sitting down with my family in Boca Raton, Florida for the first seder. In the next few weeks, I will be sure to share some recipes that got me through a 3:00 long run during the intermediate days when it's permissible to run.

Lastly, congratulations to everyone who ran the New York City Half Marathon and the Los Angeles Marathon today.  

No comments: