Sunday, November 15, 2009

Race Report: Damon Runyon 5k at Yankee Stadium

The last time I was in Yankee Stadium was on November 4 when the Yankees won their 27th World Series Title. 11 days later I returned with 2,499 other runners for the Damon Runyon 5k at Yankee Stadium. All donations raised went directly to the most brilliant young scientists in the nation funded by the Damon Runyon Cancer Research Foundation.

Up until a few days ago I had no idea how a 5k could possibly be staged entirely inside Yankee Stadium. Yes, the race organizers gave us some hints. They told us that runners would get to run on the field, run around concourses, and up steps between levels. Then a few days before the race we get an e-mail with the final event details. In that e-mail the described what was in store for us:
START LINE on the 100 level concourse, near Section 120
• Run/walk two laps around the 100 level concourse
• After second lap, near Section 126, turn left behind concessions, then take ramp to sub-zero level
• Run/walk through the sub-zero level
• Exit the sub-zero level between the Bullpen and Monument Park, turn right onto warning track
• Run/walk two laps around the warning track that circles the field
• Exit warning track to the right, return to sub-zero level
• Run/walk back through sub-zero level, turn left toward right field stairs
• Climb 103 steps to 200 level concourse -
• Run/walk the length of the 200 level concourse toward left field stairs (near Section 234)
• Climb 64 steps to 300 level concourse
• Run/walk the length of the 300 level concourse
• At Section 310, turn right down ramp near Gate 6, then take ramp down to the Great Hall
• Run/walk short distance through Great Hall (please stay to your right)
• Turn right up the Great Hall stairs to 200 level concourse
• Climb 55 steps to 200 level concourse
• Run/walk the length of the 200 level concourse toward left field stairs (near Section 234)
• Climb 64 steps to 300 level concourse
• Run/walk the length of the 300 level concourse
• At Section 310, turn right down ramp near Gate 6, then take ramp down to the Great Hall
• Run/walk short distance through to FINISH LINE in Great Hall (please stay to your left)

As you can see it's not your typical 5k road race course. I have to be honest, I was quite nervous about having to climb all of those steps, especially 103 at one time.

To avoid crowding during the event, staggered starts were used. Every 30 minutes another 250 runners/walkers were allowed to participate. I was in the 3rd wave which went off around 10:00. The first 2 laps around the 100 section went pretty smoothly. I felt pretty good considering how badly I struggled at last week's 5k and that just a few days ago I left work early with a fever and sinusitis. Anyway, I made the left and down the ramp to the sub-zero section. After running for a bit in what I called the catacombs of Yankee Stadium I see this light at the end of the tunnel and the next thing I know I'm on the warning track of Yankee Stadium. I attempted to take a video of my 2 laps but something went wrong and it didn't work. It was pretty surreal running not too far from where the Yankees were celebrating just 11 days ago. The final line score from Game 6 was still on the outfield scoreboard and the World Series logos were still faintly visible on the first and third base sides of the field. The one thing I regret is not stopping to take pictures while on the field. I guess that's the competitive runner in me. I knew I wanted to have fun today but I just couldn't bring myself to stop running in the middle of a race and take pictures.

After the 2 laps of the warning track came the dreaded 103 steps up to the 200 level and the rest of course as described earlier. I'll admit I had a hard time with the steps, as did many of the runners. At this point the course got a little confusing but the volunteers made sure everyone went in the right direction. I did keep track of my time, finishing the course in an unofficial time of 27:14. After the race, I hung out with my friend MB's family who was hanging out in the Delta 360 Main Level Suite that was made available to all participants and spectators. Congrats to my friend MB who started in a later wave and finished in under 34:00.

As an added bonus, I got to meet Twitter buddy, Eva, who  having a great time and took the time to take pictures and enjoy the event.

Thank you to the staff of the Damon Runyon Cancer Research Foundation, the volunteers, and the New York Yankees for opening the Stadium. I can't wait to do it again next year.

I'll mention one last time that it is not too late to make a contribution in support of my run. On-line donations will be accepted through December 18. If you have the means to do so, a contribution of any amount in support of my run is greatly appreciated. On-line donations can be made by clicking here.

Update: Official results were posted a few days ago. Not that I care but here are my official results:
Chip time: 27:11
Pace: 8:46
Overall Place 221 out of 2,026
Gender Place: 168 out of 995

Also, I wanted to share picture of how the race looked on my Garmin 305. I did lose the signal a few times so it's only a partial but it's good enough.



No comments: