Sunday, September 20, 2009

Early Re-Evaluation

At the end of my post Wednesday I wrote about a spill that I took into a NYC lamp post. At the time I thought I had bruised some ribs. I went to work on Thursday. I was sore but I was able to make to through the day with some Advil. Friday morning I couldn't get out of bed without screaming in pain. Somehow I managed to take a shower and shave without too much difficulty. The I started to get dressed. Again I started to scream in pain. Finally, Mrs. Ansky suggested I should go to the ER to get myself checked out. With Rosh Hashana starting that night, I thought it was a good idea. To make a long story short, I had some X-Rays taken and it turned out that my 10th rib was broken.

For those of you that have suffered through a broken rib, you'll know that the only cure for a broken rib is time. It can't be put in a cast or a in a sling. I left the ER with perscription for Percocet and Naprosyn. The past two days were a lesson in figuring ways to sit up and down without too much pain. Rosh Hashana services involve a lot if sitting and standing. I did the best I could. My family was great, I was allowed to relax and wasn't asked to help too much. Little Ansky (my 8 year old daughter) was big help. Helping Bubby (Yiddish for grandmother) set and clear the table, and serve the food.

As for running, I'm on the shelf for now. I don't even think I can make to the gym to cross-train. The doctor said to let my pain dictate what I can and cannot do. For now, it hurts to do anything. I'm not sure at this point if I'll be able to run the Asbury Park Relay Marathon. More to come.....

No comments: