Sunday, February 13, 2011

Good End to the Week

If you follow me on Twitter you'll know that 2 out of my 3 mid-week runs did not go so well. This past Tuesday I had a 1:30 run in zone 2 with 3 minute surges into zone 3 every 20 minutes. The run started off well but then it started to rain. For some reason people forget how to drive when it rains. The rain, crappy drivers, and lingering snow and ice on the ground, created less than ideal running conditions. I knew if I stuck to the main streets I'd be able to complete the run. About 40 minutes into the run I took a GU for extra calories so I could finish the run without bonking. All I'll say is, thank goodness for the laundromat along my route that was open early and had a bathroom. After that, I knew I wasn't going to get the full 1:30 so I pushed the pace for the rest of the time I was out there.

Friday's assigned run was a 12 mile step up interval run where I was supposed to run miles 1-3 in zone 2, 4-6 in zone 3, 7-11 in zone 4, and cool down for a mile. The run was going well, and I was feeling great. Just as I was starting my 4 miles in zone 4, I stepped in a pot hole and rolled my ankle a little bit. Instead of risking a potential injury, I cut the run short and headed home. Thankfully, the ankle did not hurt and was not swollen. I rested it for the remainder of Friday and Saturday hoping I'd be able to bounce back on Sunday with a solid long run.

Today's long run was 2:45 in zone 2 with surges every 20 minutes. I wasn't sure how it was going to turn out. We were out with friends last night and I went to bed a lot later than I am used to. I was surprised how good I felt considering I didn't get much sleep. About mid-way through the run I caught myself racing the workout. I slowed myself down so I would have plenty of energy to finish strong. I had to stop at 2:30 not because I wasn't feeling well but because of a family obligation. I ran 17.69 miles for an average pace of 8:30 per mile. A good end to a week that didn't start off well.

No comments: