Thursday, January 27, 2011

The 2011 Chicago Marathon

Several of you have asked me what my thoughts are about this year's Chicago Marathon falling on the day after Yom Kippur. This may come as a surprise but I don't have a problem with it. This is a much different situation than this year's Ironman World Championship in Kona falling on Yom Kippur or when NYRR scheduled Queens Half Marathon on Rosh Hashana a few years back. This year's Chicago Marathon is on the day after Yom Kippur. Is it the best idea to run a marathon after fasting (no food or water) or 25 hours before the race? Definitely not. I am not a medical professional but I think you could run a marathon the day after a fast day. You have to be 100% on top of your nutrition and hydration. I would also suggest eating  substantial pre and post fast meals. I would not expect to PR but you could finish the race. If you're looking to PR or BQ, I would suggest finding a different fall race.

No comments: