Monday, February 22, 2010

When Life (and Nature) Gets in the Way

My scheduled run for Sunday was 2.5 hours in zone 2 with 3 minute surges in zone 3 every 20 minutes. I had a packed day ahead of me so I needed to start my run no later than 6:00 a.m. That was the easy part as I am usually out on the road at 5:30 during the week. The first few miles went by without a hitch. I settled into a nice pace and got through two 3 minute surges. Shortly after that, I started feeling some stomach pains. At first I thought it was a stitch so I slowed my pace and brought my heart rate down a bit. Unfortunately it wasn't a stitch, I needed to take of business ASAP.   I took a detour from my planned route to a local supermarket that was open and did my business. Unfortunately, since I needed to spend an unusual amount of time in the restroom there was no way I'd be able get my 2.5 hours of running in. I adjusted my route hoping to get at least 2 hours under my legs. I stuck with the 3 minute surges every 20 minutes and felt pretty strong for the rest of the run. I walked in the door a slightly bummed about not running for 2.5 hours but Coach Jeff e-mailed me later to tell me it was no big deal and that he was pleased with my effort for the time I was out there. Totals for the day: 14.35 miles in 2:05:29 (8:45 pace).

This is not the first time I've needed to make a dash to a bathroom. I usually plan my routes near local parks in Bergen County since there is usually a bathroom in the park. Unfortunately, most of the bathrooms are locked up for the winter. Spring brings little league, tennis, soccer, etc...to most of the local parks. With these activities come bathrooms and functioning water fountains.

No comments: